Rough start to the trip, though all worked out in the end. Woke up to find that my original flight through Philadelphia was massively delayed and that I would miss my connection. Melisa from American was able to book me up with an alternative flight however, through Miami instead, so in the end all I lost was two hours. Nerve wracking while I was trying to sort everything out though.
I'm writing this on the flight to Madrid, I get in at 1030 and should get to the hotel before noon. The AC Recleatoes, a Marriott hotel located in central Madrid. I had reservations to tour the Palace Real at 1:30 but that got canceled for some official event. I'm still going to take an Uber over there to try and get in once they let tourists in, and then walk back through the end hotel, passing through the Plaza Major. For the history buffs amount you, you might recognize the Plaza as the scene of the Inquisition. I will make sure to try and capture some great shots of the area. Finally watched spotlight on the flight. Great movie. Also had three children seated next to me. So not much sleep sadly. Still I stay optimistic that this will be the greatest trip of my life.
Upate: well my luck continued. Flight landed late, and I very nearly missed my car from the airport. Major credit to blacklane driver for sticking around, I gave him a huge tip as thanks. He waited well over an hour. Got to my hotel, AC Recleatoes (probably spelling it wrong) only to find my rooms not ready for another few hours. They did take my bag however. No worries though! I was prepared for such a scenario, and despite smelling like an airport and being exhausted I decided to make the most of it. Found a cool Spanish tapas bar and hunkered down. Mas q menos. Pretty cool place with only local incrediants. Got a whole bottle of wine, salbide rioja 2014, and worked my way through some delicious tapas. Croquets with jamon iberico and some queso marchada. I feel like a Madrid native already!
Hotel room was finally ready, and let me say it is gorgeous. Had a quick shower and rushed over to the palace to try and get a tour in, but had trouble with the taxi, not speaking the language is a huge barrier, and wound up waiting in line only to watch the doors close in my face. OK try again tomorrow before the Prado.
Made the best of it by walking around old Madrid. A few photos are at the bottom of this post. More on Flickr.
I did go to chocolatria San gines cafe, a place famous for the chocolate con churros and their cafe con leche. Yum. Dirt cheap too.
And yes that is a melted cup of chocolate for dipping. Don't judge me :P
On my way walking back to the hotel I got caught up in some big protest with people wearing vote for vodka shirts, which was being serenaded by a mariotche band. Not sure what it was for but it had great energy! Early day tomorrow, but I might stop by the hotel bar for a nightcap. They have a jazz band playing.








No comments:
Post a Comment