Today was a more laid back day from the previous two, for which I am certainly glad.
My train from Madrid to Leon was at 2:40, so I spent the morning lounging around in a plaza reading a book, and breifings toured the Naval Museum. Much cooler than I expected, it was worth a trip. Highlights include: old models of steam engines, a flag captured during the Spanish American war, old sextants and clocks and their masterpiece the first map ever made with the new world on it. Pretty neat.
Train to Leon was nice and easy, arrived around 6 and was checked in by 630ish.
Very weird hotel, it was labeled as a hotel/art gallery so I knew it would be kinda strange, but I'm still not sure what I think of it. For one my safe is broken, the bed is iffy (I'll be sleeping on top of the sheets with my sleeping bag tonight if you catch my drift) and the bathroom is rusty and peeling.
The hotel seems proud of being "environmentally forward" which is what they call motion sensors in the halls that turn off the hall lights whenever no one is in them, (sensors which don't extend to you room so I have to use my phone for light to lock the door) and sheets that are only cleaned a few times a week to save water. Other amenities include a bedet, legit key locking doors complete with large keychain, bathroom doors that don't close and an included breakfast that we are charged for, but that doesn't actually run on weekends, which is when I am here. On the bright side the resteraunt here is supposedly good. Of course tonight is some weird Spanish Marti gras where people, especially children, dress up as cats, witches and knights and run around, and places across the city are closed.
After trying valiently and failing to find a decent non crowded place, I stopped by a supermarket and picked up a delicious feast of wine, cheese and Iberian chorizo. I write this as I finish off a bottle of delicious local wine, which is online at over 30 bucks in the States, that cost me 2 euros, as I sing to Jack Johnson's Banana pancakes off Amazon. Damn it I really love Spain.
PS: the "art gallery" is really just the staircase, and all the "famous art" I'm pretty sure are just prints. : ]. And the picture of the zip ties are of the ones my dad used to fasten the walking poles to the bag. All 20 of them.
















No comments:
Post a Comment