My first day! Easy day distance wise, just Leon to La Virgin de Camino. According to my pebble it was about 5 miles total. Il start posting info from my fitness tracking at the bottom of posts for those interested. Made a mistake reserving a hotel. It's actually about half a mile outside of town. And compounding the issue doesn't open until 4. I did manage to convince them to keep my bag behind their desk.
I got there around 12 after leading Leon at 930 though I did stop at a bar for breakfast for like an hour. Spanish tortillas (egg potatoes omelette pie) are delicious. And absurdly cheap. I had a huge slice, 2 cups of cafe con leche and it was less than 5 euros.
The walk itself was fun, a little hilly, but I never got lost or anything. Tons of signs everywhere. After I stopped and fixed my pack a bit I felt fantastic. Boots are comfortable, pack distributes load well, once the straps were all buckled, and my coat was great. It was a bit cold as it was rainy today, but I had no problems. My ears were a bit exposed, but I have a hood that'll solve that. I feel like I could easily go triple the distance with ease. Luckily that's about the most I should ever have to walk in a day.
I had to walk into town for a few hours after I left my bag. Spent some time chilling under the awning outside the church, then went to a park for a bit before finding a bar. Warm and dry. :)
Update: at the hotel now, weather tomorrow looks rough. Some rain and very cold. Below freezing with the wind. I'm taking a bit of a scenic route to Masarife, rather than the typical route to viladangos. I've hear it's prettier and easier, if a bit longer overall. It also sets me up well for orbigo and the approach to Astorga which will be my first rest day. Tomorrow will also be my first day in an alberque, so I'm looking forward to that. It should be about 15km total.
Ps: I think I passed through the Shire on my way to la Virgin. And also take a look at the front of the church the Shepard that saw Mary built.
I'm glad you have warm clothes! The pictures look beautiful
ReplyDeleteI love the church. It is so different from the others. Also keep the selfies coming; they are the best.
ReplyDeleteSuper neat bro!
ReplyDelete