Very excited for tomorrow. Easy day planed, seems I made a good decision starting off short. Just 5 ish km to my destination, la virgin de Camino. Supposedly the Virgin Mary appeared in a dream of a local merchant and told him to throw and stone, and build a church where it landed. That's the church in this town, where many miracles have been said to take place. Il be staying in a hotel, and choose to stay in this town as the distance to the next hotel or alberques(hostel) is significant, especially when adding the 5 from Leon. It's also supposed to rain a bit tomorrow, so shorter day it is.
My last day in Leon was fun, went to the cathedral which was fabulous. Stunning stained glass, the architecture was fascinating and the audio tour was surprisingly well-done. And had an English version. Not speaking any Spanish has made this trip far more difficult.
The Basilica of San Isidoro is a must see. The tour of the Royal Pantheon was incredible. Sadly the tour guide oy spoke Spanish, but I got the gist of it. The location is where kings and queens of Leon from the 10th century and earlier were buddies, and beautiful frescoes cover the ceiling in I retesting religious doctrine and scenes. Including some that I think we're meant to tie in the local pagon religions with Christ. IE Angels with the heads of beasts. Also present was a number of religious artifacts and spoils from the crusade.
Most pictured on my Flickr, but I'll post a few here too.


Beautiful pictures. Rest up. Your fun begins tomorrow.
ReplyDeleteSounds like so much fun ... Good luck on the start of the walk
ReplyDeleteMany blessings on your journey!! I love all your pictures! Have fun.
ReplyDelete