Friday, March 17, 2017

Day 16 of the camino

Palas de rei to melide today, a nice shorter day of 15km.  Took it easy and slow today, weather stayed nice, though hotter in the afternoon.  Lovely hike on paths through woods and over small rivers.  I lagged back a bit to stay behind a spanish school trip that is walking the Camino from Sarria to Santiago.  A group of about twenty high school aged kids.  I'm rather jealous of their school trip actually, I know my school never did anything so interesting. 

Hung out at an extremely popular bar for a few hours at around noon.  I've really started to like the local beer Estrella galicia, and had the best tortilla I've had in Spain. 

Made it to melide by 330.  was able to relax and take a bath soaking my poor abused feet.  Melide is famous for its octopus, served in pulparias so I went to one of the ones in the area.  Delicious octopus, boiled fresh and served on a wooden plate with 4 seasonings: paprika, sea salt, olive oil and one last spice I couldn't figure out.  something a bit spicey, maybe cayanne or something similar.  In Melide you eat the octopus with toothpicks and the wine is served in small ceramic bowls rather than a glass. 

Tomorrow another easier day with only 15 km to azura.  sorry no pictures again, upload speeds in Spain are awful at so many places.  

2 comments:

  1. I can't believe how close you are! What an adventure! Besides all the pictures, I love the description of your meals.

    ReplyDelete