Thursday, March 23, 2017

Day 20 and 21 of the Camino

Sorry no post last night, no wifi.
Day 20 was a bit cold and rainy. Made 22 km from Santiago to Negreira. Mostly through what galicia has shown before, lots of hills and rivers through forests of eucalytus. Got a gorgeous view of the cathedral from atop a hill outside the city. And then struggled mightily climbing another massive hill later on. Made even harder by the rain and the Camino being detoured a few km due to some tree issue (literally that is what the sign said. Tree issue). Got to walk through many small hamlets and farm towns, watching people do their daily chores. Ate a delicious orange while watching a man deliver bread door to door. Arrived exhausted, but ready to recharge for the next day.







Day 21 sucked. Awful weather as expected. Horrible hail, I can't stress that enough how difficult it is to walk in hail. I'm afraid I might get bruises from the hail. Lots of rain. Snow too. And ice. Saw a plow and got sanded by it's trailer. In a bar I hunkered down in for lunch I saw that it was the equivalent of a Spanish state of emergency in some regions due to ice and snow. Despite that I did walk about 28km in around 9 hours. A little more actually. I needed to as the Camino goes through long stretches here without any places to stay and my time is short. Another 22 km tomorrow to Cee, the first then on the while Camio franches to be on the ocean. And only 13 km from Finisterra. I am a bit worried though, as my feet got drenched and I developed a nasty blister on the bottom of my left foot. Hopefully a night's rest will make it more manageable.  Sadly I didn't get to take many pictures today despite some gorgeous views of the lake ahead as I was nervous about my camera so I kept it dry in my bag. A wise sacrifice I think.




1 comment:

  1. Don't leave me hanging, James. Did you make it to your additional destination???

    ReplyDelete