Sunday, March 26, 2017

Days 22 and 23

To the end!
Day 22 was a 25 km hike through hilly Galicia at its best from Lago towards Cee, an Oceanside town famous for its crecent shaped beach.  The weather finally cleared up, and while the begining of the day had a bit of a climb, and the end had the worst descent ever, it was mostly pretty peaceful and pleasurable.  The last bit into the town of Cee however was awful. Unbelievably steep, and hell on my  feet. The walk is also famous for the great divide, a nearly 15 km streach with no towns, food or water. Cee is beautiful though and I stayed in the nicest place. Had caldo galicia which is galicia broth soup that seems different every time I  have it. And grilled fish of some sort.
Day 23 was my last day. About 13km to Fisterra the town, and another 3 to the lighthouse at the end, the Cabo Finisterra. The furthest point west on the continent and once the home of the most important and ancient pagan alters, the alter of the Sun.  For pagens and most early human religions the Sun was the most important of all deities, and finisterra has been a point of pilgrimage since prehistoric times. It has of course now been claimed as part of the Camino de Santiago, a Christian pilgrimage, and is a fitting end to the Camino. It felt very final to reach the end and look out west towards the new world.
It was a pretty day, and the walk quickly became a nice change of pace as I left the forests and walked along the beach. The water is stunningly blue and of course freezing cold this time of year. The walk to the lighthouse and back is a bit tough as you just want it to be over when you get to the town. But having a celebratory beer at the end of the Earth and some incredible razor clams as I waited for a bus to santiago topped off a great day. I fly out early tomorrow and am absolutely exhausted. I gave this trip my everything and it's returned it all with tons left over. What a great experience.  Il upload pictures later, just landed in Austin.
https://www.flickr.com/gp/147782098@N03/7T2B06

link to final picture album

1 comment: