Saturday, March 4, 2017

Astorga and day 5 of camino

Sorry no post last night, wifi was down. Despite the crappy wifi that was a great hotel. Right across the street from the gaudi palace and cathedral. Mainly rested on my day off as it was some maragato holiday. Saw a parade of children while having lunch. The palace was closed for renovations but I did get to see the cathedral. Cool, but I kind of wish they had left the original 10th century one instead of building this one in the 1800s.









Today on the Camino was a fun day. Woke up feeling great, weather was gorgeous. I had planned a short day, but decided to keep going to try and stay ahead of some snow I keep hearing is coming. Wound up in rabinal, 22km from Astorga. Took some great pics I think. Walked along the fence of crosses an odd landmark along the Camino. Staying in an alberque tonight. Had a maragato meal, which is served meat first followed by vegetables then soup as the maragato people were once the only people trusted to transport the king's gold. So they were constantly under attack and so ate theI main course first as to be prepared for battle. Meal is mainly organ meats and blood sausage which aren't my favorite. Veggies are chickpeas and cabbage. Then chicken noodle soup followed by flan. Odd meal. Won't order it again, but I'm.glad I got to experience the culture.

Another big day planned tomorrow. 17km to acebo. And I should be summiting to the cross de fero, one of the landmarks of the Camino where pilgrims leave a rock behind. Weather looks nasty though. It's absolutely freezing in this alberque, wood burning heater in another room. Thank REI I have a sleeping bag and thermal liner. I'd freeze without it. Snow tonight and possibly rain all day tomorrow. Il see how it goes. 





4 comments: