18km today, from ponferada to cacabelos. A lovely stroll through some cool farming towns and some beautiful vinyards. Spain is world famous for its wine, and this is probably the most well regarded region for Spanish wines. It's fascinating to see the infastructure surrounding the agricultural Industry here. Weather was good, cooler in the early day but it warmed up quick. I have fallen in love with the Spanish obsession with the orange. Every bar and restaurant has a machine that makes fresh orange juice and it's just so delicious. I don't get why we don't have them In the US.
Had an incredible dinner here in cacabelos. With a whole bottle of local wine, amazing asparagus and a nice steak (Spanish steaks are a bit weird though, very thin and long, kinda like a cheese steak before they cut it up for the sandwich). All for 10 euro. The food in this country is both tasty and cheap.
Really easy day planed tomorrow. Just 7km to Villafranca, the last town before the mountains leading to Galicia. Should be fun. Hopefully I can get some octopus at the pulparia in cacabelos before I set off. They just happened to be closed on Wednesday of all days.
Also here are some pictures from before that I missed since I had no wifi. My Flickr though is up to date with everything.






What beautiful towns! I love the narrow streets and old buildings. I can feel the history by just looking at your pictures.
ReplyDeleteIt looks so beautiful there.
ReplyDelete